Friday, February 20, 2009

SYTYCD eh?


This past fall I watched So You Think You Can Dance Canada semi-religiously, not missing one episode of the top ten contenders... two of which I fell in love with:
Arrasay and Vincent

I secretly pretended they were sleeping together on tour, but then i caught a drift of gay from vincent during one of his routines... 

Because I followed the show closely, my dad had to watch the show by default and developed a liking for Lisa, a hip hop-contemporary dancer who made it to the top 6.  

Because he's such a wonderful and thoughtful person, my dad decided to buy me two tickets to see SYTYCD when it rolled into town two days ago to Copps Colisseum.

I went with Laura, who would've been swarmed in the parking lot if the other show-goers found out that she wasn't even a fan of the show. (Her favourite dancer is Kaitlyn--shows how much she knows...)
 Before it began, we met and walked down to Jackson Square and had a quick bite to eat at the Honest Lawyer... cheesiest bar in Hamilton. But it allowed us to guzzle a pint of beer and shoot an ounce of whiskey before the show, which was necessary.

We got to our seats just as the show began and the 18000 person-arena (not quite sold out, but almost) roared with cheers and fanatical crying. I was so overcome by emotion that I, too, almost started crying.  It was an even mix of excitement, anticipation, and complete humiliation.  It was really strange.

Here are my 2 cents on the show:
-if you have bad seats, don't bother going... you end up having to watch the dancing on the jumbo-tron, which is comparable to a basketball game, but much worse.
-don't go if you watched the show, because out of about 40 of the routines, i've seen all but 3!  THREE!!! only three of the forty dances were new to me.
-the tickets were about $40 (for second tier seating, i can only imagine that first tier and floor seating are priced much higher).  this bothered me because their shows are run on an incredibly low budget. (10 dancers, 3 stagehands, 2 lighting guys, and about 7 props)
-the routines were awesome and the dancers were greatly impressive.  
-not as impressive, however, as america's best DANCE CREW. that shit is so good.


No comments: